Survey to prepare 'Next Workspace Iteration' sprint

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 10:48:53 UTC 2012

2012/6/5 Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com>:
> On Tuesday 05 June 2012, Björn Balazs wrote:
>
>> Nobody ever suggested to do a user-led approach, to stick in the
>> terminology of the article. Even though I have a somewhat more
>> differentiated view on the topic than it is been layed out in the article,
>> the main points are correct (ok, the article is short and hence has to
>> simplify things).
>>
>> There is a quote that is supposed to be said by Henry Ford: "If I had asked
>> people what they want, they would have said faster horses." This is - sorry
>> - the bullshit approach of letting people tell me what to do. This not how
>> working with users works.
>>
>> When I talk about user research here, I always have in mind to let people
>> tell about their life, their fears, their experience - areas they are
>> absolute experts in. This is why I tried to formulate the questions on the
>> first page to be close to peoples actual experience.
>
> yeah, i think we are on the same page here :D

Agreed. Also, I'd like to point out that the results will be
interpreted and explained by someone (Björn) who knows how to do that,
and will instruct us in how to take the best advantage out of them. So
it's not just a random user study done by $developer which is likely
to be interpreted in the wrong way.

Sorry to say that, but this seems (yet again) much ado about nothing,
and most of all (reason why I care) slowing down a very useful thing
for the sprint, putting focus on pointless discussions instead of
getting the actual job done. I seriously doubt anyone in this list is
more knowledgeable than Björn over this topic, so as I said in the
other mail: PLEASE put some trust on your bros (because we're striving
for the same things), especially if they have a track record of
competency, getting things done, and dedication to KDE.

Back on topic: overall, I just went through the survey and it looks
good to me, can't wait until it goes online. Will try my best to
spread it everywhere I can.