Theming, again

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jun 4 17:51:22 UTC 2012

On Monday, June 4, 2012 11:45:48 Daker Fernandes Pinheiro wrote:
> Exactly, the QStyle painting will be there for retro compatibility and

QML and/or QStyle will get support for desktop panels, popup dialogs, desktop
notifications, window switchers, ... ?

iow: when we say "style" we don't just mean "buttons and shit" we mean "what
it takes to pain the entire desktop shell".

> But enabling themes/styles in QML can makes them free from QQPI for
> new styles that can be written.

i have 3 issues with this:

a) it's a new set of incompatibilities. i am not going to break compat every 6
months just because the kids have a new toy called QML. it's a great tool, but
a new tool does not mean "let's be irresponsible"

b) when it comes to UI approaches, particularly non-QWidget, Qt has
demonstrated one thing in the last 3 years: directions will change ..
radically, often and without warning. and every time we've been told "this
will be awsome this time!" so when i think of betting on another Qt solution
for this i am not thrilled.

c) it doesn't cover the full scope of what we need (see first paras above)

--
Aaron Seigo