Bugsplashing

Thijs Heus thijs22nospam at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 2 15:16:05 UTC 2012

Hello Plasma-devvers,

Myriams actions at bugs.kde.org stirred my email box last week, and
actually got me to do plasma bug triaging myself again. It is awesome to
see that the number of bug reports for plasma is now less than half of what
it was 180 days ago. With plasma and kwin down so much in bugcount, we can
boast a desktop that starts to approach rock steady again -with the numbers
to prove it.

Anyway, my usual hobby is to a) make sure that new bugs are checked for
dupes and reproducability as far as I can, and b) go through the old end of
the database and see what bugs are still valid. Currently there are about
150 open reports without comment in the past half year, and that should go
down to close to zero. Now I have a few questions:
1) Do you guys care? The entire exercise only makes sense if the devs want
to use BKO the way Martin wrote it in his blogs.
2) Are the components useful? I could see a lot of use for grouping bugs,
and trying to keep a component bug free. But again - only when it is in
use. And what is the difference between e.g. containment-desktop and
desktop?
3) There is a fair amount of bugs that need to be treated with the
authority and wisdom of a developer. I can be almost certain that a bug is
a wont fix, but only a dev can mark it as such. I could keep a list of such
bugs, and throw them over this mailing list once in a while, or perhaps a
flag "for_devs" could work here. This would not be meant as a kicking devs
to fix a bug, but should only take 2 minutes of time to comment/check
out/close/whatever.

Cheers,

Thijs