some work and api design on plasma2

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 19:18:50 UTC 2012

On Thursday 19 July 2012, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Thursday 19 July 2012 20:35:51 Marco Martin wrote:
> > but the most important thing is that kf5 is kinda the last chance for big
> > incompatime changes, at least for a long while.
>
> do we need a libplasma in KF 5.0? Would it be a huge issue to say libplasma
> is split out of frameworks but not released as part of 5.0, but will enter
> in 5.1 or 5.2. Or having a split-out libplasma API compatible might be a
> quite nice thing in fact for 3rd-party applications using Plasma and don't
> want to do heavy porting. Remember KF 5 should be easy to port to, right
> ;-)

personally, would not be a problem and would give quite some room to breathe
;)

anybody can think about technical problems about it that may be lurking?
it may mean a release of the workspace that doesn't use completely frameworks,
so both old kdelibs and the frameworks will have to be distributed for some
time, may this be a problem? (but not avoidable probably)

Cheers,
Marco Martin