some work and api design on plasma2

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jul 19 19:08:07 UTC 2012

On Thursday 19 July 2012 20:35:51 Marco Martin wrote:
> but the most important thing is that kf5 is kinda the last chance for big
> incompatime changes, at least for a long while.
do we need a libplasma in KF 5.0? Would it be a huge issue to say libplasma is
split out of frameworks but not released as part of 5.0, but will enter in 5.1
or 5.2. Or having a split-out libplasma API compatible might be a quite nice
thing in fact for 3rd-party applications using Plasma and don't want to do
heavy porting. Remember KF 5 should be easy to port to, right ;-)

IIRC libplasma had not been part of KDElibs 4.0 either, so I personally see no
issue with having a libplasma1 as part of KF 5.0 and later on add a libplasma
2 to 5.1 or 5.2. The disadvantage would be that the namespace would have to be
changed from Plasma to Plasma2, but that can also be considered as an
advantage...

Cheers
Martin