RFC: mailing list disclaimer in every source file

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Jul 2 18:31:12 UTC 2012

On Monday 02 July 2012 18:16:53 Davide Bettio wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sometimes it happens that somone writes to me to ask something
> releated to plasma development. As a reply I usually point him to the
> plasma mailing list, that's not a problem for me but there are some
> plasma contributors that are not reachable anymore.
> That might be a problem on the communication side so I think that we
> should add a notice to every source file after the copyright
> disclaimer that states that the best thing to ask anything related to
> plasma should be to send a mail to the plasma mailing list.
what gives you the feeling that people send you the mail because of the
license header in the source code? I ask because I received a mail last week
where the user got it through bugzilla. Also more likely than the source code
is probably the .desktop file and the about data shown inside the add-widget
explorer.

If we add some boilerplate to the author list of the license header it would
probably (?) break the GPL requirements? On the other hand putting it below is
useless as people would not look there.

Cheers
Martin