Offset from Plasma Theme?

Michail Vourlakos mvourlakos at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 16:01:13 UTC 2012

Στις 02/07/2012 10:01 πμ, ο/η Aaron J. Seigo έγραψε:
> On Sunday, July 1, 2012 19:46:51 Michail Vourlakos wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to know if there is a way to know how much offset
>> adds the Plasma theme in a plasmoid. The decorations of the
>> plasma theme add some offset, for example the 0, 0 point of a plasmoid
>> is in reality offsetX+0, offsetY+0 because of the plasma theme.
>>
>> I need that because of some computations outside of that plasmoid.
> can you explain what you are wanting to do in a bit more detail? because with
> what you described, it really sounds like you are doing something in the wrong
> way.
>
> these details are purposefully hidden so that developers don't try and do
> overly clever things that actually just break the user experience. if you are
> struggling against the API / design, it almost always means you should be
> doing something a little different.
>
> ... but sometimes we actually do find new, valid use cases and need to extend /
> improve plasma in some way to meet them.
>
> so if you can share more details, i can share a proper answer :)

Aaron the use case is this, information for the project
---------------------
Home Page:
http://www.opentoolsandspace.org/en/projects/development/plasmoid-workflow
Video1: https://vimeo.com/43340669
Video2: https://vimeo.com/45061682 <https://vimeo.com/43340669>
Gitorious: https://gitorious.org/activities-plasma

In second video you can watch the mentioned window previews.
-------------------
It's about  the window previews you had answered me in another thread
and proposed me
to copy the QML ToolTip code. Instead I found a solution with:

     Plasma::WindowEffects::showWindowThumbnails

actually it works as you can see in the second video but in order to
find proper x,y for each
window thumbnail I need:
1. x,y of the plasmoid,
2. offset of Plasma Theme decoration
3. x,y inside the main QML Element
-so the real x,y is 1+2+3,
1. I can find it through the plasmoid geometry,
2. I am searching to find, (???)
3. I know it of course from inside QML.

Plasma::WindowEffects::showWindowThumbnails needs as first parameter a
WId. A plasmoid
I think does not have a WId, instead desktops WId or Dashboard WId is
used I think through:

view()->winId();

Cheers,
Michail