Issues on writing plasmoid for KMix

Igor Poboiko igor.poboiko at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 13:09:17 UTC 2012

Hi!
I'm working on porting KMix tray applet to plasma. Right now I have some
working code which can be found in my scratch repo -
http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Fpoboiko%2Fkmix-plasmoid.git&a=summary (it
requires KMix from trunk).
First issue: it isn't QML. I generate KCM UI content on-the-fly (I want
users to have an ability to select which controls they want to see in
popup, so I provide a KActionSelector with available controls), and I've
heard that it is impossible using QML. Also I didn't work with QML before.
Second issue: this applet works using "mixer" dataengine (which ships with
kmix), which gets information from KMix through DBus. It updates data in
dataengine when it receives DBus signals. The problem is: my applet doesn't
receive a dataUpdated() call every time it is actually updated. Sometimes
data is updated, but applet doesn't know anything about it. Is that a bug
or I just wrong somewhere?
And it would be great if someone look at code and review it somehow. It's
my first experience in writing plasmoids so there may be some quite serious
issues. Any suggestions and comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Igor.