question about panel size guideline

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jan 11 12:08:44 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, January 10, 2012 19:30:44 Reza Shah wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, December 27, 2011 21:16:19 Reza Shah wrote:
> >> so, do we have some guideline regarding the panel for example:
> >> - minimum size or maximum size
> >
> > max size is currently 1/3rd of the screen
> > min size is currently 16px.
>
> Is the the value in
> kde-workspace/plasma/desktop/shell/panelcontroller.cpp:static const
> int MINIMUM_HEIGHT = 10; ?
> Can it be replaced with KIconLoader::SizeSmall plus some margin (1 or 2)?

it could be, but i don't particularly see the connection between the small
icon size and the size of a panel. it would make more sense imho to tie to
font sizes and theme border sizes since while pictures can be shrunk, text
often has a hard limit on readability and the borders in the svg theme are
similarly hard limits.

> For this case, is there a way for the widget to ask the panel
> container to stop shrink further?

no, there isn't. not explicitly, in any case. the panel could stop at the
largest minimum / preferred size, with an upper limit (so that crazy applets
wouldn't result in a 100px high panel, for instance ;) ... e.g. something
like:

minSize = qMax(16, largestMinSize(applets))

humru othro a kohnu se