session applets to QML part 1: konsoleprofiles

Shaun Reich shaun.reich at kdemail.net
Tue Jan 3 05:32:30 UTC 2012

While I was doing other things, I've also been porting the session
applets to QML.

The applet which is the most done is konsoleprofiles...

I'm going to merge this one and finish it the most, then work on the
other ones again (konq and kdevelop session profile applets, as well
as kate's. the outer 2 are ones which are "mostly" ported. i.e. it's
in QML already).

What does this consist of? Aside from QML, I moved all of the logic
out of the applets into dataengines. I like this a lot more. Mostly
because it's hard from QML, and also because I enjoy
compartmentalization between presentation and logic
components...hurray.

One thing I have a question on, is what to do with Aaron's commit SHA:
c14629345808354200d1a718672440a48ddb5484
Not sure if that commit is still applicable to my changesets.

The code is in the plasma/sreich/declarative-session-applets branch of
kdeplasma-addons

I'd also like to know if the engine sources I have set for it are ok.
Example: I have setData("name: + profileName, "name", "profileName");
setData("name:" + profileName, "prettyName", niceName);
nicename is the one that is more user visible, iirc. I don't like the
duplication, but if you can show me a better way from the C++ and QML
side, I'm all ears.

It's still missing a scrollbar, but I'll add that in soon.

So give me some feedback before I merge it in and make your lives a
living hell, muhahah ;)

P.S. the neat bonus about this is that:

(a) the features are exactly on-par with the regular one
(b) we get sexy plasma theming out of the box (it was an ugly
QGraphicsProxyWidget before..iow it used KColorScheme styles..)
(c) the bugs associated with this, as well as the other plasma widgets
I'm doing are freaking easy to add. So I'll likely knock those off the
wall after I get all of these merged in and on par with their dead
ancestors.

--
Shaun Reich,
KDE Software Developer (kde.org)