Integrate AppMenu into Workspace 4.9

Weng Xuetian wengxt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 15:40:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 09 February 2012 16:07:13 Alex Fiestas wrote:
>> Hey there!
>>
>> It seems that people really likes AppMenu, we have fans of everything
>> we have done with it so far:
>> -oxygen-appmenu
>> -plasmoid
>> -runner
>>
>> So it seems clear to me that we should integrate this technology into
>> Workspace 4.9, but before we do it would be good to hear opinions
>> about these questions:
>>
>> -Is there any way of integrating oxygen-appmenu without breaking
>> api-abi? Maybe a second version of the API?
> If that refers to KWin decoration API: no problem as we are going to break
> deco API in 4.9 anyway :-)
>> -How the KDED works?
>> -Is there any plans to extend libdbusmenu-qt to make it export the
>> menu as a model?
>> -Do we need something else to complete our support? documentation maybe?
>> -What is the status of it being merged into GTK ?
>>
>> Personally I think that AppMenu is a powerful technology that will
>> allow us to decide how and when show the menubars which sure will be
>> handy in the future.
>>
>> So, what do you think of AppMenu?
> I'm all for it and would even say we go for default menu in windeco.
>
> Cheers
> Martin

I would say give it a blacklist for some special application, such as
gimp / inkscape. Current win deco menu button is not a good solution
for those. For other menu-is-rarely-used-application (Maybe that's the
most case), my two cents for putting it in windeco.

By the way, is there anyway for people to implement some special
appmenu only case like compact menu of firefox? I currently don't see
it is possible with dbus menu.