[RFC] File ending for packaged KWin effects and where to put them

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Feb 9 08:57:32 UTC 2012

Hi workspace developers,

my JavaScript bindings for KWin effects are nearly in place and that results
in a few questions I wanted to discuss with the greater team.

The scripted effects follow the Plasma Packages structure and I plan to have
also "normal" KWin scripts use Plasma Package structure as well as window
decorations and window switcher layouts.

Should such files use the file ending "plasmoid" or should we introduce new
names like "kwineffect", "kwinswitcher", "kwinscript", "kwindecoration"? Could
using "plasmoid" result in problems like the widgets explorer trying to
install the kwineffect when dropped on the desktop?

The second question I have is about the additional effects. Now that we have
the scripted bindings I want to rewrite a few pure eye-candy effects with the
bindings and move them out of the KWin source tree. Where should they go? I
tend to plasma-addons.

Last but not least: how does this synchrotron work and does it offer something
which would be very useful to distribute our effects, scripts, etc?

Cheers
Martin