RFC: Application wide shortcuts in QML

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 23:37:27 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 15:24:01 Mark wrote:
>> Could you post a link to that Qt 5.1 api when you find it again? I did
>> a bit of searching, but nothing thus far.
>
> nothing has been published thus far. discussions will be ongoing on the qt
> devel list.

Speaking of the devil..
There is as lot of talk going on right now in the qt devel list in the
"QAction-like API for QML" and in the thread i opened: "Application
wide shortcuts API for QML". My thread became obsolete when i figured
out that the QAction one is also about the shortcuts :p

Either way, they API they propose is nearly exactly the same as mine
only they use the property "shortcut" where i use "key". Before i
start to sum it all up, please do read those two topics. It's quite
interesting!

>> As for limiting it's usage. In my case that would not work. I need F5
>> as well in my app so i'm guessing other app developers "could" have
>> the same requirement.
>
> F5 for reload? sounds like a good use case for introducing standard shortcuts
> to QML as we have in the rest of Qt/KDE (also discussed @ devdays, btw).

No, F5 for refreshing my list :) Actually just the QKeySequence
StandardKey enum would probably be enough.

> beyond that, this sounds like it probably needs some design thinking (as
> opposed to "drive hard and fast to the nearest implementation") to consider
> how to make keyboard triggable actions available in a way that works in a
> componentized environment (QWidgets also fails here, btw :)

Well, "my way" already works quite well :)

>> Perhaps it's better to just use this component as a desktop component
>> only? Is there any way to enforce that?
>
> currently, no.

Would a policy work then? So you just say: Component x is prohibited
for platform y even though you can use it?