Switch and Checkbox items

Nuno Pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Thu Dec 13 17:09:24 UTC 2012

A Quinta, 13 de Dezembro de 2012 17:16:32 Aaron J. Seigo escreveu:
> On Thursday, December 13, 2012 14:00:51 Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
> > I really don't think one replaces the other. I have switches and
> > checkboxes, on my Android phone and I clearly sees that depending on the
> > context it fits better.
>
> yes, on touch (such as Android type use cases) we'll be keeping both. the
> question is about desktop.
>
> > For example, in print manager I used a switch on each printer,
> > since it's a device and I find more natural to turn it on/off.
>
> do you have any user testing or external research that supports this?
>
> i wonder how well people can accurately determine if something is a hardware
> device or not (networking is probably a minefield) and if there is benefit
> to introducing additional metaphores on the already complex desktop.
>
> personally, i really don't want to see Switches start appearing in random
> places on the desktop UI (consistency) and there are so many use cases to
> cover to know if they can be properly integrated or not. the *last* thing we
> need is something like "use Switches for hardware devices .. except if
> <some UI limitation>" leading to a mix of switches and checkboxes for the
> same kind of functionality.
>
> > I don't think droping one in favour the other is the way to go. Good
> > and easy to read guidelines are.
>
> can you address the Cons i raised about this approach, namely:
>
> * Much more work for developers (one UI for touch, one for desktop, all
> because of Switch vs Checkbox)
>
> *  if we change our mind in the future, all that work needs to be re-done
>
> * relies on people caring about and implementing HIG-compliant UIs (this is
> the big problem IMHO)

you guys know the mains reason for radio butons and check boxes beeing kiiled
on the touch world dont you?

They are shrodingers cats, wile you pressthem they are at the same time bowth
pressed and unpresssed since the phinguer covers all of them and for that
periud you dont know its status, plus makes it terribly hard to change up your
mind wille pressing them, solution was the switcher.

in the desktop we dont need them and they mostly just brake alignements