RFC: Application wide shortcuts in QML

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 14:24:01 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Friday, December 7, 2012 22:39:09 Mark wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just made this blog post [1] and would like to see if i can include
>> this - quite handy - QML component in the KDE imports. I think it fits
>> quite nicely in the "qtextracomponents" import.
>>
>> The syntax is as follows (in QML):
>> Shortcut {
>>     key: "Ctrl+C"
>>     onActivated: {
>>         console.log("JS: " + key + " pressed.")
>>     }
>> }
>
> From discussions had recently with qt devs, this will likely be coming in Qt
> 5.1. I forget the exact API decided on (or if it has been decided on), but I'd
> be Ok with it only if the API of this component was the same as the Qt5 API
> will be so we don't have to maintain this API forever.
>
> I'm also very hestitant to encourage plasmoids to implement app-wide key
> shortcuts. Might be nice(r) to automatically require ctrl (so it would be
> just: key: "C") or some other modifier or even just disabled when in a shared-
> space formfactor (vertical, horizontal, planar..); these need to be able to be
> kept manageable so plasmoids don't capture the same shortcuts (easy when you
> can have more than one instance of the plasmoid :)
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo

Could you post a link to that Qt 5.1 api when you find it again? I did
a bit of searching, but nothing thus far.
As for limiting it's usage. In my case that would not work. I need F5
as well in my app so i'm guessing other app developers "could" have
the same requirement.

Perhaps it's better to just use this component as a desktop component
only? Is there any way to enforce that?