[RFC] New (QML) Desktop Containment

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Mon Dec 10 17:17:45 UTC 2012

The changes look excellent!

I'm wondering a few things:
-Should we remove the interface to lock/unlock the desktop and delegate this
to the kiosk mode?
-What was the design decision/idea/thing behind cashew? It seems to me like a
way of showing some actions that otherwise will be hidden (in the context
menu), is that it?

Last Thursday I met with a group of friends that use 4.8, and while taking
beers (yay for scientific way of doing things :p) I asked them a few things
about their experience using the the desktop. All of them had accidentally
triggered cashew and none of them remembered what it did other than "show
desktop".

I asked them how they unlock/lock their set of widgets, all of them but one
answered saying opening the context menu in the panel, the other one never
added a widget.

I asked them how they reboot/shutdown, all of them replied using kickoff.

>From this 10 friends, 6 of them have used or use Windows XP/7, 4 of them used
Windows 98 and now osx/Kubuntu.

Just some feedback from real people that can help us to improve whatever we
intend to do with the cashew.

Cheerz !