Moving screen locking away from krunner

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Dec 7 15:21:59 UTC 2012

On Friday, December 7, 2012 13:13:49 Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
> It's just someone said that krunner could crash and we wouldn't
> have the session locked, then it was said it was moved to kcmserver
> and I got a bit scared of kcmserver crashing now...

ah.. you got the message reversed!

krunner may crash because it can load random plugins (runners) which may
misbehave; krunner crashing would prevent the screen locker from activating.

ksmserver does not load random code (because it has no reason to, and we need
it to be guaranteed stable as you noted) so does not suffer from this issue.