Back to basics

Nuno Pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Sat Aug 18 01:04:32 UTC 2012

A Sábado, 18 de Agosto de 2012 00:16:40 Aaron J. Seigo escreveu:
> On Thursday, August 16, 2012 21:47:12 Nuno Pinheiro wrote:
> > one thing lead to another and I acoured to me that the timing is perfect
> > for a release were we focus on the basic desktop, and we market it just
> > like that a "back to basics" release for the big 4.10, so we would do a
> > few litle thing that improve the basic desktop experience the things
> > people use 90% of the time, and we market that, we market that we still
> > care about mouse and keyboard interaction and what works.
>
> first, purpose drives technology. thinking first about what would be clever
> marketing and try to form fit the technolgy to it is a losing concept.
> either that or the justin bieber desktop would be the best thing ever.
>
> just look at the thread on kde-promo ... the relevant phrase is "tail
> wagging dog".
>
> if you ever feel it is important to CC a marketing list when thinking about
> discussing technology, delete the email (or whatever) immediately, think it
> through a bit more and send it to the relevant tech list instead with actual
> content.
>
> so ...
>
> there are no "basics".
>
> never have been.
>
> never will be.
>
> i respect and admire the desire to make things better. that's always a good
> thing. but what thing(s) should be better?

With no itention to start a big discution on what ever im doing or if im doing
anything at all, all I wanted was for us colectevly to do and publicly state
that we are doing somthing about our traditional desktop, you know the one
with the pannel the taskbar and systemtray ment to be used mostly with a
mouse....
With all the confusion around the reinvention of how people should use their
desktops (IMO mostly going the wrong way completly forgeting about things that
are known to work and beeing reaplaced and mixed with things that do not
really work for mouse/keybord interaction) I see alot of users incredibly
frustrated about this, AFIK kde is not going that route and we should make
that clear, thats the reason i thought about this, a very good oprtunity to
say "we did not lost our marbles"... beeing that taht catch pharse is probably
to crude, the rather meningless "back to basics" seams a much better fit as it
may be projected by the potential user as what ever he wants us to be a safe
even  from all the crazyness...

The reason to cc the promo list... get them in the loop of this so we dont end
up with another 4.9 release anouncemnt.

> you mention at some point the mouse/keyboard driven concept (because we've
> obviously lef that behind or something apparently)

(hope that coment is not an insunuation that I said that)

> and that is perhaps a
> good start. so WHAT aspect of mouse/keyboard interaction could be improved?

as for sepcific things to do to improve the plasma-desktop/kwin combo... well
a few i will do myslef (basic wallperper and a new theme and proper
screenshots of it) but it was more of an open question to everyone se what we
can do without reinventing the wheel (that was never the intent), so litle
efort maximum payback, istead of what we usulay do that is extremly complex
things with litle comunication about it (not that joe user would undrstand any
way).

Hope this makes it a bit more clear....in  a nutshell (there is a fantastic
oprtunity to state that we in kde still care about the traditional work
creation desktop, im gona do my part in trying to capitalize that into new
users any one with me?)