Next Iteration Sprint, confirmed !

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Apr 23 15:42:42 UTC 2012

On Monday 23 April 2012 13:03:56 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 23 April 2012, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > Or put simply: Homework first.
> >
> > Now if the sprint would be: let's take two days to reflect on the current
> > state and define where we want to go, and then take 5 days to sit down and
> > clear the road for getting there, that would be an approach I'd be a lot
> > more happy with.
>
> yep, +1000
> couldn't have said it better.
> it's a matter of responsibility
I really don't see your concerns and I will explain why although I never
intended to write that down in a public mailing list (out of fear some media
would discover it).

My expectation from the sprint is that we will figure out a new interaction of
the shell and windowing system which is not possible at the moment. We have
pretty much reached what's possible with Plasma tells KWin what to do. But
turning it around (Plasma becomes a plugin to KWin) will give us complete new
possibilities which I will start to explore as soon as we are in feature
freeze.

The result of the sprint will therefore be:
1. Existing Shell is not touched
2. A new Shell needs to be implemented

This allows us to have some basic new requirements:
1. QML2 only
2. Qt5/KF5 only
3. libplasma2 only
4. Compositing only
(5. Wayland only?)

Basically we can cut off the legacy world and completely concentrate on
pushing libplasma2 to support the new shell. After that is done, we will be
able to port the existing shell to libplasma2/QML2.

So my expectation is that it will have the exact opposite effect of what you
fear. By turning libplasma2 into a requirement for any new work we force our
workspace developers to work on it. But we need the vision, the clear goal to
motivate everyone.

First thinking we need to transit the complete existing shell is probably no
motivating factor to do boring stuff as libplasma2. We need the stick and the
carrot here. The new shell will be the carrot, the requirement for it has to
be libplasma2 the stick.

Last remaining note: it's also the best for our users as it will continue on
our trusted and well known and stable Qt4/kdelibs4 code base :-)

Cheers
Martin