Next Iteration Sprint, confirmed !

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Apr 23 10:21:17 UTC 2012

On Friday, April 20, 2012 15:39:02 Daker Fernandes Pinheiro wrote:
> I also agree that the vision must be over the limitations, specially
> when the concern is how to prioritize the development.

In principle, basing development of technology onto a vision is the correct
approach. There's a big but ("Big Butt?" ;)) here, though. We already know
that, in order to move forward, two things need to be done, which are dictated
by "external requirements", rather than the requirements of the workspace
itself, those are:

- Moving our existing codebase to QML
- Make libplasma2 happen

The reasons are:
- If we don't move all of our plasmoids to QML, we'll not be able to take
  advantage of SceneGraph
- Any advantages that Qt5 could bring us will be blocked
- If we don't work on libplasma2, Frameworks5 will not happen, we have a
  community-responsibility to do our part here

Those cannot be dismissed as "technology before vision" because we already
have identified these things as crucial to move on with our vision. Now it's
easy to ignore all these efforts by just starting a new process of finding a
vision (and my impression so far is that we're running into this trap), but I
think that's very wrong, and disrespectful to those who have been working on
it.

I think to new members of the workspace team, tackling these two areas would
be very good starting points to get into core workspace development -- because
that has to happen in tandem with the rest of the team, not in parallel. This
could also help with a notorious manpower problem we have when it comes to
working on Plasma Core issues, especially libplasma2.

Or put simply: Homework first.

Now if the sprint would be: let's take two days to reflect on the current
state and define where we want to go, and then take 5 days to sit down and
clear the road for getting there, that would be an approach I'd be a lot more
happy with.

sebas