Next Iteration Sprint, confirmed !

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 14:33:02 UTC 2012

Il 20 aprile 2012 15:40, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> ha scritto:
> On Friday 20 April 2012 15:19:14 Alex Fiestas wrote:
>> On Friday, April 20, 2012 02:20:58 PM Marco Martin wrote:
>> > I expressed my concerns before, i'll do it again: i think this is really
>> > not the time to do it, any good intention and vision is not much use if
>> > there is not the technical foundation being layd down, and at the moment
>> > there isn't. i would see this useful a year from now, not now (maybe if
>> > the goal was 80% programming 20% talking things would be a bit
>> > different).
>> > maybe i'm wrong but i'm feeling it's a waste right now.
>> >
>> > anyways good luck with it, i hope i'll be proved wrong.
>> I'm no expert, but the vision should NOT be driven by technology but instead
>> the other way around, once we have the vision and we have the solution to
>> implement that vision, then we will have to care about what technology we
>> have to create/adapt/adopt/etc. Of course since we are developers we will
>> be doing technical work before vision/solution is finished.
> +1000 - I think that is really important to first get what we want to achieve
> and afterwards work on the technology side to get it implemented. And that's a
> good reason to have the sprint *now* before we have libplasma2 and before we
> have ported to Wayland.

I agree 100% with Alex and Martin, and I'll even dare to say that
coding without planning and without a defined goal is a long standing
mistake in our workflow which we are trying to fix with this sprint.

Paradoxically, it's exactly *BECAUSE* we need to (re)build a
foundation that we need to plan a vision. Once you have a well defined
platform, your vision will be of course limited to what the platform
can offer. OTOH, this time we have to do things right and start
planning everything from the beginning, which eventually means having
the platform built around and for our vision, and not the other way
round.