Next Iteration Sprint, confirmed !

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Fri Apr 20 13:19:14 UTC 2012

On Friday, April 20, 2012 02:20:58 PM Marco Martin wrote:
> I expressed my concerns before, i'll do it again: i think this is really not
> the time to do it, any good intention and vision is not much use if there
> is not the technical foundation being layd down, and at the moment there
> isn't. i would see this useful a year from now, not now (maybe if the goal
> was 80% programming 20% talking things would be a bit different).
> maybe i'm wrong but i'm feeling it's a waste right now.
>
> anyways good luck with it, i hope i'll be proved wrong.

Well, We need to accommodate a lot of new people into the workspace team
(starting by myself) and I think that this sprint is a good starting point to
create together a vision and a set of goals we can share and work on them in
the following months.

If now that we have a good momentum we ask people to get involved on
libplasma2 (I guess that's what you mean with technical fundation) two things
can happend:

1-Everybody joings libplasma2 development, coordination is a mess, lot of new
people working in old code etc, not ideal.
2-We wait until libplasma2 is done, maybe when it is done we don't have this
much interested people anymore.

Anyway, in the irc meeting we had, we all agreed on working (all of us) on
porting first everything to QML1. I guess that in the meanwhile  plasma2 will
be done while Elegance project should be resuscitated etc, Summing it up we
will be working on technology after the sprint.

I'm no expert, but the vision should NOT be driven by technology but instead
the other way around, once we have the vision and we have the solution to
implement that vision, then we will have to care about what technology we have
to create/adapt/adopt/etc. Of course since we are developers we will be doing
technical work before vision/solution is finished.

Just my two cents.