NotifierItem Glowing on mouseOver

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Apr 11 09:01:17 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, April 10, 2012 16:21:24 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> A few releases ago iirc (or at some point in the development) all
> NotifierItems glow in systemtray when mouseOver, now only Network Management
> does (at least here).

it seems they are all indeed glowing (confirmed both by instrumenting the code
as well as looking really closely at the screen during animations :) but the
visual difference between hovered and not-hovered for the SVG based items is
very, very small.

it seems the code in Plasma::IconWidget is working as expected, as is the
Plasma::PaintUtils::transition ..

the applets which paint themselves (battery, e.g.) don't have a hover effect
and that's unfortunate. something to be improved on (making the hover effect
easier to implement in custom applets like that).

but for the other items, this could perhaps be due to a change in the artwork
which renders the highlight effect almost useless.

in fact, i just went into the icon settings control panel and noticed that the
highlight effect for icons was set to Gamma with value 0. changing that to have
the highest possible value makes the change on the icons more visible.

then i changed it to colorize the icons .. and again it was more visible but
interestingly enough, due to the small amount of colour used in the default
system tray icons, only small bits of the icons were affected.

one way to confirm that this is indeed the issue would be to switch icon themes
to one that uses colourful icons for the system tray. if the effect becomes
visible again then that is the problem. given my research just now into the
problem, this looks likely.

can you confirm?