ScreenSaver and KDE Plasma 4.8?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Sep 30 10:38:34 UTC 2011

On Thursday, September 29, 2011 22:14:59 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> * add Plasma widget support to new screen
> locker implementation but drop screensaver support (same problems as first
> option)

+1 for this.

if the lock screen is QML, when we get a QML version with OpenGL shaders
people can go crazy creating new screensavers in all their glory.

for Plasma widgets: it would mean creating a Containment and loading the
configuration in that Containment; which means: not much.

the current Plasma widgets support has a bunch of complicated code for working
with (or more accurately: around) the screensaver unlocker window dialog. with
a QML locker that doesn't require such hacking about, the code should be a lot
simpler and cleaner.

i don't think we can just drop the widgets-on-locker functionality, however,
as that's an actual real-world-useful feature (whereas screensavers are an
anachronism)

humru othro a kohnu se