ScreenSaver and KDE Plasma 4.8?

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 05:48:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> So there are some solutions:
> * drop screensaver support altogether, probably would create some troubles as evil KDE removed screensavers
> * add Plasma widget support to new screen locker implementation but drop screensaver support (same problems as
> first option)
> * add a fallback to legacy mode if a screen saver is configured. Means same security problems are present again
> which were the reason for moving the screen locker to KWin in the first place

What about implementing a screensaver plasma wallpaper backend?  This
would show screensavers as plasma wallpapers.  Then you could go with
the second option and get screensaver support for free in a leck
hackish way.  I know there have been requests from at least several
people for a screensaver wallpaper backend for plasma since before it
was even released, so this would solve the problem while benefiting
plasma as a whole.

-Todd