ScreenSaver and KDE Plasma 4.8?

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 21:32:14 UTC 2011

Am Thu, 29 Sep 2011 22:14:59 +0200
schrieb Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org>:

> But when compositing is turned off, you currently get the plain old
> implementation including screen savers. And I don't want to change
> that code.
Seconding Marco: "Why?"

> So there are some solutions:
> * drop screensaver support altogether, probably would create some
> troubles as evil KDE removed screensavers
+1

> A possible solution for the user issue could be to clearly advertise
> that security reasons are responsible for removing screensaver
> support.
gg:greenwashing
Just stress that aspect and best back it with some facts about the last
available CRTs and "burn-in-with-lcd" myths.
Otherwise you'll have to explain
a) "why is compositing such shit?"
b) "but it works with windows!!!!"
c) "can't you implement screensavers as kwin effects then?" (yeah, but
i won't! why? i think it's retarded. you suck! KDE sucks!! FOSS
sucks!!!! i'm gonna use window...." blabbbabb)

> Also an improved login process I have in my mind: with only
> one user configured
"kcmshell4 kdm", convenience, enable auto-login, lock session

rather don't do this "if only one user is configured" as
a) this is rather never the case (does kdm know that "sauerbraten" and
"mpd" are no regular users? what about "nobody", "fetchmail" ....
b) breaks other session types (openbox, e17) - of course a kde user
would never do, but kde should prevent it neither ;-)

Cheers,
Thomas