Replace kimpanel in kdeplasma-addons with a rewrite version

Weng Xuetian wengxt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 14:46:07 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 9:54 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday, September 19, 2011 20:39:11 Weng Xuetian wrote:
>> So I rewrite kimpanel (Use the same dbus protocol), and use dataengine
>> for instead of direct dbus access. And I would like to maintain it in
>> the future.
>
> i am very happy to hear this :)
>
> what i would like to suggest is this: request a new git repository on
> git.kde.org and then push your repository into there. the form to request a
> git repository is here:
>
>        http://sysadmin.kde.org/svnaccount/repo-request.php

Ok, I request a repo named kimpanel-rewrite.
> i do have some questions / observations:
>
> * how well does the javascript version work?
Just some simple experiment code.
At first I want to make a qml/js version, but I found it's very hard
to make it as same as the original version, due to the floating window
support in plasma doesn't work well. So finally I start a C++ version.

But if a qml/js based on-screen keyboard is made, I think kimpanel
dataengine can provides the input method side integration (Like
something has been done in android on-screen keyboard.
http://home.comcast.net/~jashsu/demo/gpi02.png something like this
image shows. )  This is something I would like to make in the future.

> * KimpanelEngine::sourceRequestEvent needs to setData at least once .. in
> fact, what i'd suggest is instead of implementing sourceRequestEvent at all,
> just create the INPUTPANEL_SOURCE_NAME and STATUSBAR_SOURCE_NAME sources in
> init()
>
> * KimpanelEngine::updateSourceEvent does not need to be implemented in the
> engine
>
> i can make some of these kinds of clean-ups directly once it is on git.kde.org
> :) and i would very much welcome you as the new maintainer for this widget!

Thank you very much :)