Some help for recreating the Plasma Tool Box in QML

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 18:29:09 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 29 October 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Friday, October 28, 2011 22:10:07 Mark wrote:

> > > Oke, i finally have the darn QML file working in the position where i
> > > want it. Quite irritating since apparently i need to set the base
> > > position of QDeclarativeView in C++ where i'd expect it to be set from
> > > XML with just X and Y position.. Also the line to set some flags
> doesn't
> > > seem to be working on QDeclerativeView:
> KWindowSystem::setState(winId(),
> > > NET::SkipTaskbar | NET::SkipPager | NET::Sticky | NET::KeepAbove); ...
> > > Or i did something wrong.
> > >
> > > Anyway, i'm gonna try to fill up the QML file with elements so it looks
> > > like the current tool box we all know but for that i need to get some
> > > things working..
> > >
> > > 1. How do i get the PlasmaCore import working:
> > >
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma/QML/GettingStarted#P
> > > las ma_Widgets_in_QML My
> >
> > you just include PlasmaCore like:
> >
> > import org.kde.plasma.core 0.1 as PlasmaCore
> >
> > assumng you have a sufficiently new kde-runtime installed, this should
> > "just work"
>
> make sure the proper import path is set in the qml runtime.
> ie if you are using this from plasma you <blink>***M U S T***</blink> use
> Plasma::DeclarativeWidget
>
> if you are doing tests with qmlviewer, add the command line parameter
> -I /usr/lib/kde4/imports
>
> (or whatever prefix kde is installed instead of /usr)
>

> > > 2. Which options are possible for plasmacore backgrounds.. Right now i
> > > have "widgets/frame" but what else is there?
> >
> > these come from the SVG theme... in this case you probably want to use
> > dialogs/background
>

> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma/ThemeDetails#Current_Theme_Elements
>
> > > 3. Where are the plasma QML files hidden for a button and such and how
> do
> > > i use them (imports.. same as question 1 only with different files)
> >
> > until the MobileComponents and Plasma::Components become available to you
> > (will be in kde-runtime, and eventually a separate KDE QML repository),
> you
> > can use Plasma widgdets like PlasmaWidgets.PushButton
>
> plasma components are now in runtime master (whether leavng them in for 4.8
> is
> another question, but i would)
>
> Cheers,
> Marco Martin

Apparently it isn't "just" working. I was missing a "QML_IMPORT_PATH"
environment variable. Once i set that to the imports it worked.
However, if i run it through QtCreator (just a QML file with no project
behind it) then QtCreator still doesn't see it.. Right now i "work around"
this by making a project and setting the "importPaths" variable in the
<project>.qmlproject, but does anyone know the environment variable i need
to edit for the default import paths? Odly enough QtCreator doesn't seem to
look at QML_IMPORT_PATH ...

Thanx.