IconTasks taskmanager changes

Craig Drummond Craig.Drummond at gmx.net
Fri Oct 28 07:12:35 UTC 2011

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 00:35:46 +0100
> Von: David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>
> An: plasma-devel at kde.org
> Betreff: Re: IconTasks taskmanager changes

> In KDE Telepathy we have several dbus-activated apps that
> 1) Do not have .desktop files
> 2) Should not be able to be pinned to the taskbar
>
> These apps are launched by telepathy and never by the user. The best
> example is the chat application (telepathy-kde-text-ui) which is the
> app used for a text chat with someone. If they are launched manually
> it will immediately look for the pending dbus information realise it
> hasn't got anything and close without ever showing the user anything,
> which is a rubbish UI experience.
>
> Interestingly current main task bar does not allow me to "Show a
> launcher when not running", but Icon Tasks does. So there is a
> regression in icon tasks , but it appears to be the complete opposite
> to what is currently being discussed.

When you say it does allow you to show a launcher - does it then prompt you to select one from the list? Or has it found a matching .desktop file automatically? If it is prompting to select from a list, then this is the way it has been designed - IconTasks will *always* prompt the user, if it cannot find the associated .desktop file. This is required for wine apps, etc - as has been discussed.

If you are saying it automatically finds a .desktop file, and pins it to the taskbar - then this sounds like an error.

Craig.