Thoughts about statusbar

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue Oct 25 22:35:20 UTC 2011

2011/10/25 Aurélien Gâteau <aurelien.gateau at canonical.com>:

>>> The statusbar is inside the application window, so I disagree this is a
>>> workspace issue.
>>
>> My personal opinion is that the Workspace has to define how the windows
>> have
>> to behave and it is the task of the Workspace to enforce some consistancy
>> on
>> the applications if it has to be. (Compare global menu or Notify OSD at
>> that
>> comany in your mail address ;-)
>
> I disagree.
>
> - Regarding global menu, unless you want to do a "global statusbar", then
> this is an application-specific topic.
>
> - Regarding notifications, there is an interest in getting them centralized
> so it is a workspace issue.
>
>> As we see that the application developers fail to improve the UI
>> (exceptions
>> are there as usual - e.g. Dolphin, Gwenview or rekonq) we could even go so
>> far
>> to say that it is the responsibility of the part of our workspace
>> experience
>> which works on having a consistant UI and a clear interaction concept.
>
> The correct fix is rather to raise awareness of UI issues within KDE
> application developers and to discuss these issues with their developers. We
> tried the dictator approach during the last kde-ux sprint, redesigning k3b
> without getting the k3b developers involved. The changes did not end up
> being picked up by k3b developers: we just wasted one precious morning of a
> 3-day sprint.

Out of curiosity was it patches that did not get merged, or did you
make a whitepaper on K3B which no-one followed up on?

This seems a bit off-topic but there's no point suggesting to many
apps how they can change their statusbar if it's going to be ignored
by the relevant application developers.

Do you think if it was a more active team on K3B it would have been different?
Was there any resentment to making improvement suggestions? (I stay
clear of making a lot of comments for that reason)
Do you think there there would have been any fallout if you had just
committed changes?

How should you raise awareness of UI issues? Things like your
usability blog post series you made in Feb last year?
They were great (really really great), but unless it feedbacks into
HIG guidelines, anyone who happened to miss PlanetKDE that week will
have never see them.

David Edmundson