How to do a Plasma runner which only triggers once the query string is complete?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Oct 25 10:04:32 UTC 2011

On Monday, October 17, 2011 20:32:29 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> while Plasma runners try to resolve on every change of the entered string as
> it seems, the Marble runners only try to resolve once Enter is pressed,
> i.e. they only try to resolve for the full string (e.g. to reduce traffic
> to and load on OSM servers)

for the calculator runner we use a trigger character indeed (the '=' sign).
you could set it up for a delay as well .. but that would appear quite slow to
the user (which may be ok: the process itself is quite slow).

one possibility might be to show a match if the runner is triggered (e.g. "map
<term>" or "locate <term>") with a unique ID (to the runner, probably; don't
need to support multiple simultaneous queries) and which starts with the text
"Looking for <term> on OpenStreetmap" (or whatever) and only when there is
sufficient pause in typing actually do the search and then update that match
with the proper results when the match returns...

humru othro a kohnu se