tooltips in QML widgets

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 11:56:58 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 30 November 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:04:20 Marco Martin wrote:
> > yes, ther are some things in core that i would move out to a graphics
> > specific implementation, like the svg/framesvg items, tooltips and
> > dialog, those will need 2 implementations, while the dataengine ones
> > will be the same
>
> a lot will depend on how much we want to provide via QML bindings. if these
> were all done via QML components, we don't need any public API in the C++
> libplasma-qml, and the public API in libplasma-qgv could remain as-is. my
> concern would only be to share implementations as i do not want the QML
> tooltips drawn one way and the QGV ones another; the maintenance burdon
> would be high.

ah, right the part in libplasma (was mostly thinking about the qml binding)
for tooltips maybe it can be saved?

ie we would have an abstracttooltipmanager, and the two derivations, the
target is a simple qobject then the implementations try to figure out what the
passed qobject actually is so they can implement a working filter (yeah, not
so pretty)

for things that need to be a qdeclarativeitem instead i don't see other
solutions than 2 implementations, but the good news is that things like
framesvgitem is a very thin glue boilerplate thing, so easy to deal and
maintain

> > > it would be very nice to get together for a week or so with some people
> > > in person to work on libplasma2 issues like this and see how much
> > > progress we could make. i do have the house to myself for a week
> > > starting on friday ...
> > > plasma party at my place? ;)
> >
> > ugh.. this friday ? ;) (only thing i'm concerned is the final rush for
> > active2)
>
> ah, yes, THAT thing. ;P ah well, was just a thought. it would still be
> good, i think, to do an in-person devel sprint for the libplasma2 push.
> doesn't have to be now, but i'd like to see it happen by early next year
> (e.g. before march)

yep, 100% agree (and i would love next week, but with the release is really
tight)
i would like a meeting asap, and very small (like a magnitude of 3-4 people,
independent from the next tokamak) don't know if is possible after the
release, maybe not many people can around christmas period?
what about some days/a week of the very first days of january?

> issues like ToolTipContent/Manager above are just so much faster to deal
> with in person and we could make some serious progress by doing this.
yep ;)

--
Marco Martin