tooltips in QML widgets

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Nov 30 10:58:46 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:04:20 Marco Martin wrote:
> yes, ther are some things in core that i would move out to a graphics
> specific implementation, like the svg/framesvg items, tooltips and dialog,
> those will need 2 implementations, while the dataengine ones will be the
> same

a lot will depend on how much we want to provide via QML bindings. if these
were all done via QML components, we don't need any public API in the C++
libplasma-qml, and the public API in libplasma-qgv could remain as-is. my
concern would only be to share implementations as i do not want the QML
tooltips drawn one way and the QGV ones another; the maintenance burdon would
be high.

in the case of tooltips, there is only one instance of ToolTipContent usage:
in Applet, when it fails to load the requested applet. we could either remove
this and just be content with broken Applets simply sitting there unhappily
with no tooltip feeback to explain what's happened or ensure that
ToolTipContent remains in libplasma and a ToolTipManager is available (or some
alternative mechanism) to publish it with.

ToolTipManager is more widely used: a few times in Applet, once in PopupApplet
and once in Corona (an unfortunate hack i'd like to get rid of anyways)

> > it would be very nice to get together for a week or so with some people in
> > person to work on libplasma2 issues like this and see how much progress we
> > could make. i do have the house to myself for a week starting on friday
> > plasma party at my place? ;)
>
> ugh.. this friday ? ;) (only thing i'm concerned is the final rush for
> active2)

ah, yes, THAT thing. ;P ah well, was just a thought. it would still be good, i
think, to do an in-person devel sprint for the libplasma2 push. doesn't have
to be now, but i'd like to see it happen by early next year (e.g. before
march)

issues like ToolTipContent/Manager above are just so much faster to deal with
in person and we could make some serious progress by doing this.

humru othro a kohnu se