Configuring plasma as a sysadmin

Jeremy Sanders jeremy at jeremysanders.net
Mon Nov 14 12:43:00 UTC 2011

Hi - we're trying to set up a sensible default desktop for new users. We
used to take the rc files generated in a configured account and copy them
into /etc/kde for new users.

This seems completely broken for plasma currently (in Fedora 16). I've tried
copying plasma-desktop-appletsrc, plasma-desktoprc, activitymanagerrc and
kwinrc, but I just get a blank desktop for new users. Exactly how is plasma
turning the configuration files into the desktop?

Kevin Kofler has kindly pointed me to
http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/PlasmaDesktopScripting
which points that javascript is now used to make the panel. It seems KDE is
much harder for a sysadmin to configure now.

Is there not a simple way to just copy files from .kde/share/config into
/etc/kde for new users? Could not plasma look for these files rather than
using Javascript? If not, could there be a way to translate the current
panel into Javascript commands?

Thanks

Jeremy