Review Request: Screen Locker daemon

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Nov 10 13:27:12 UTC 2011

On Thursday, November 10, 2011 13:00:20 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > it looks like we're pretty much right back to the situation we had prior
> > to the screenlocking being moved to kwin
> Unfortunately yes, but if we want to make it secure, so that the screen does
> not get unlocked if something unrelated to screen locking crashes (e.g. the
> lock window or the OpenGL driver used by KWin) it needs to be in it's own
> process.

fair enough ... however, at least when it was in krunner it wasn't going to
spontaneously erupt as the user had no access to the krunner ui. now we have a
separate process. more below on this ....

> > if we are going to go this route, i highly recommend that the daemon
> > becomes a kded plugin.
> there was concern that kded is too unstable as everything links to it, so
> e.g. a crashing other kded plugin could unlock the screen

similar can be said for everything in kded. if there is a need for two kded
instances, one for "trusted, critical" plugins and one for "things
applications wish to shove into there" then we can probably do that.

i don't like how we have one daemon for activities, now another for screen
locking ... both of which link to libkdeui even though they have no ui. it's
pretty much the exact opposite direction we need to be going for mobile
devices.

> > other than that -> how does kwin handle a locked desktop with this new
> > system? e.g. turning effects and other window painting off ...
> It can use the property to recognize that there are screenlocker windows and
> disable painting of other windows and effects

ok; that's a key feature.

i suppose my only remaining concern is that any window could masquerade as a
screenlocker window and "blank" the desktop? and if that is possible, that's a
relatively minor issue.

humru othro a kohnu se