Review Request: Plasmate can create a CMakeLists.txt at $my_plasmoid dir

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 1 11:09:46 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:34:02 Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> > > Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > >     CMakeLists.txt is needed if you want to package the package (for
> > >     OBS,
> > >     for example).
> >
> > shouldn't that be part of the publishing step then?
>
> Different issue:

how is files-for-packaging different from publishing?

> - The CMakeLists.txt should be added so that the resulting package becomes
>   easily packagable as rpm, deb or whatever, the "publishing" doesn't happen
> on the local machine here (at least not until we implement packaging into
> Plasmate, which seems a bit out of focus for now)

publishing absolutely happens on the local machine if you create a local
package. this is already one of the possible results when you hit the Publish
button.

> - The publishing on the developing machine right now installs the resulting
>   package into the user's homedir. This can lead to shadowing the cmake-
>   installed version, which can be confusing. We probably want the following
>   options here:
> 	- install locally into ~/.kde4/
> 	- install systemwide into $KDEDIR
> 	- install to remote device (system-wide or locally, not sure)

yes; this makes sense.. and that is part of the Publishing phase.

i see no reason to create and maintain a CMakeLists.txt file for the lifespan
of the project. following that logic, we would end up adding files for every
single publishing target that requires some support in the form of an in-
project file.

humru othro a kohnu se