the utter failure of bugzilla (and us?)

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon May 30 22:44:35 CEST 2011

On Monday 30 May 2011 22:03:11 Matthias Fuchs wrote:

> > please have a look at http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Bugtracker and extend
> > where you think it is needed.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Martin
> >
> > P.S.: I think documenting in a wiki is better than long mailinglist threads
> > nobody will read again
> >
> > :-)
> > :
>
> Ok, I added some of the stuff.
>
> One thing I added is very important imo:
> _Frontends_
>
> As you mentioned bko is very slow and thus often a pain to use.
> Here tools like Deskzilla [1] could help.
>
> In the case of Deskzilla it caches all the information, that way you do not
> depend on internet connection. Further you can work even if you are offline,
> mark some changes to be send later and actually send them once you are online
> again.
>
> Also something I found very useful in a fast try is that you can create some
> kind of subqueries. E.g. show me all bugs closed with Later.
> Now you move that subquery to another query and it inherits all the queries
> before.
>
> That way it is very easy to use it for multiple products: Create the queries
> once copy them to the new product and only change the product.
>
> A disadvantage of this tool is that only the lite version is free. Though I
> still think that tools like this could _drastically_ improve our workflow.
> Nearly instant queries once you have cached the bugs for your product are
> great.

Yes an offline tool is very useful. My personal solution is to have all mails in an IMAP folder
and use the KMail search on them (still need to integrate better with Nepomuk). This works
for most things pretty well, faster and more reliable than the bko search. Another improved
search is of course using google.

But having a real offline tool would be really great. I often thought about starting a
KBugBuster2, but no time for it :-(
> [1] Because of this discussion I looked again what tools there are found again
> (forgot about it :D ) Deskzilla.
do you have a link?