the utter failure of bugzilla (and us?)

Matthias Fuchs mat69 at gmx.net
Mon May 30 18:02:05 CEST 2011

Am Montag 30 Mai 2011, 10:41:21 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Monday, May 30, 2011 01:06:07 you wrote:
> > Then there is a problem I faced myself.
> > There are bugs which are totally valid yet it is _very_ hard or even
> > impossible to fix them. Closing them would certainly not be the right
> > way, yet marking them somehow, to not always have them listed with the
> > rest would be nice.
>
> well, that's what we have WONTFIX for. however, the users of bugs.kde.org
> have grown to feel that they are owed things they are not and too often
> throw tantrums more becoming of a 5 year old when that happens. this is
> the culture around bugs.kde.org that we must correct.

I only partially agree to this. It might very well be that you want to fix
some bugs or that some bugs might be taken into consideration (or might even
be the cause) when doing a redesign of a library.

For example KIO is lacking in some areas, a lot of information is not or
hardly accessible to KIO users, like which files were actually transfered,
which files were skipped etc. Yet improving KIO here is not that easy as the
speed/memory usage could be affected by some solutions.
Now you could close any bug that has to do with that as WONTFIX or group them
somehow (yeah, "somehow" :/) to mark them as connected and set something like
a tag ("KIO redesign" or "KIO improvement") to them.
That way you do not forget about these issues but they also do not annoy you.
Later you might decide to redesign or enhance KIO to solve problems like
these. If you simply close the bug you might forget about it. [1]

[1] This assumes that the bug tracker is actually used by developers to track
stuff which atm. is not really the case as you pointed out. In the current
atmosphere it would indeed be better to mark these as WONTFIX and making a
note for oneselve.