taking a stronger stance on the python bugs

Luca Beltrame einar at heavensinferno.net
Fri May 27 23:34:57 CEST 2011

In data Friday 27 May 2011 23:21:39, Aaron J. Seigo ha scritto:

Hello Aaron,

> * forwarding unique looking backtraces to the bindings components in
> bugzilla

Judging from the reports I see occasionally in IRC, part of the "loss of
functionality" bugs lie in the scripted part, rather than in the C++-to-Python
part. Sometimes however, an error in the Python (e.g., wrong variable, syntax
error, etc.) bit which causes an exception to be thrown can lead to objects
being deleted, then resulting a crash.
In fact if that's the case the standard output of the faulty
applet/dataengine/whatever can be pretty helpful.

Also, as far as I understand some changes in PyQt affected PyKDE4 somehow: I
had to change some of my code a bit (more use of deleteLater()) to prevent
crashes.

> i understand that there's a gsoc project to improve the python bindings in

Rather, SoK (I'm the mentor). Bear in mind however that the scriptengine part
is a "minor" bit, as after discussing with the student it was decided to fix
some other (more pressing) issues in the bindings first.

> bug listings for no reason: forward new problems to bindings, close the
> rest without prejudice.

I understand the decision, however bear in mind that manpower in the
department is severely limited: I fix some problems in the Python parts if I
find out about them, but I don't know (yet) a single line of C++ and my free
time varies considerably, while Simon Edwards is already shouldering the
(large) task of creating (and fixing) the bindings for each release.

In short, moving the bits or not in bugzilla is probably a sensible decision
to improve bug finding and squashing, but unless there's some extra help, I
doubt things will improve (read: bugs getting fixed) much. Not a Plasma
problem, but worth pointing out.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter