the utter failure of bugzilla (and us?)

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed May 25 19:39:36 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 25 May 2011 19:14:13 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi ...
>
> so, congratulations everyone, plasma is #3 in bugs.kde.org with over 1300
> reports:
>
> 	https://bugs.kde.org/weekly-bug-summary.cgi
>
> trawling through some right now, it seems that probably ~5% are actual issues,
> 5-15% more are things that could be improved, and the rest is mostly
> duplicates, downstreams/upstream or flawed reports.
>
> thing is, with 1300 reports, doing 1 per minute would take 21+ hours. and with
> bugzilla it is a LOT more than 1 minute per bug. probably closer to 10 for
> full inspection and resolution. which means 210 hours, at best.
>
> that we got here is beyond me. i think the issues are obvious:
>
> * we don't have a sufficient bug triage team
> * the user community is enabled to stuff any crap they wish into the database,
> making the signal-to-noise ratio absolutely horrid
> * bugzilla is slow
> * bugzilla has horrifically bad usability
>
> we ought to find a way to improve on this situation, but tackling one or more
> of the above.
>
> i don't have any answers right now, just frustrations.
My experience is that to close 10 bugs I need one hour. In KWin we can keep the number of
bugs low because Thomas and I are reading all bug mails and are trying to keep the tracker
clean (nevertheless kwin is in the top ten and our actual bug rate is probably below the 5 %).

I can totally understand your frustration and I hope that you and the other plasma developers
don't waste the time on the bug tracker. We must face that the bug tracker is a dumbing
ground and that investing time is useless.

Personally I would vote for a private bug where only team developers are allowed to open
bugs to keep the "Kwin is slow" out of the tracker.

Cheers
Martin