the utter failure of bugzilla (and us?)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed May 25 19:14:13 CEST 2011

hi ...

so, congratulations everyone, plasma is #3 in bugs.kde.org with over 1300
reports:

	https://bugs.kde.org/weekly-bug-summary.cgi

trawling through some right now, it seems that probably ~5% are actual issues,
5-15% more are things that could be improved, and the rest is mostly
duplicates, downstreams/upstream or flawed reports.

thing is, with 1300 reports, doing 1 per minute would take 21+ hours. and with
bugzilla it is a LOT more than 1 minute per bug. probably closer to 10 for
full inspection and resolution. which means 210 hours, at best.

that we got here is beyond me. i think the issues are obvious:

* we don't have a sufficient bug triage team
* the user community is enabled to stuff any crap they wish into the database,
making the signal-to-noise ratio absolutely horrid
* bugzilla is slow
* bugzilla has horrifically bad usability

we ought to find a way to improve on this situation, but tackling one or more
of the above.

i don't have any answers right now, just frustrations.

humru othro a kohnu se