[kde-workspace/libplasma2] plasma/generic/applets/activitybar: remove usage of Plasma/Context

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri May 20 12:34:39 CEST 2011

On Friday 20 May 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> taking this to plasma-devel ...
>
> On Friday, May 20, 2011 11:35:32 Marco Martin wrote:
> > On Friday 20 May 2011, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> > > Git commit 7dd83400f8fa5bdb1de180c90a29343064d027a3 by Aaron Seigo.
> > > Committed on 20/05/2011 at 10:23.
> > > Pushed by aseigo into branch 'libplasma2'.
> > >
> > > remove usage of Plasma/Context
> > >
> > > this means it probably does not work anymore with Plasma Netbook; will
> > > need to discuss what we wish to do about this with Marco. it was a 4.6
> > > TODO for plasma-netbook, so may as well do it by now.
> > >
> > > CCMAIL:notmart at gmail.com
> >
> > my take at this point in time...
> > just make netbook support proper activities ;)
>
> while it's the immediate answer that came to me as well, i'm not sure it
> really makes much sense to do so. the pages of widgets aren't really
> activities they are, well, pages of widgets :)
>
> plasma-netbook knows what the list is and the name of each, it could just
> store that on its own. one way this could be done really easily is to have
> an internal DataEngine and use PluginLoader to deliver it. it could have
> the same API as the Activities one and then ActivityBar could do something
> like this:
>
> m_engine = dataEngine("org.kde.shellcontainments"); // or whatever
> if (!m_engine->isValid()) {
>     m_engine = dataEngine("org.kde.activities");
> }

yeah and org.kde.shellcontainments being just an internal one, makes sense

> no code dupe in ActivityBar, and netbook could provide a very simple
> DataEngine for it to use.
>
> what do you think?
>
> > also, now some boilerplate code that does the coupling
> > containment(s)/activity has to be copied over and over in order to do so
> > (had to copy it in plasma- mobile) this could go as well in the portion
> > of plasmagenericshell worth of being public api
>
> probably makes sense, assuming we can come up with a sensible API that can
> be shared. did you simply copy classess from plasma-desktop over without
> any modifications? (e.g. Activity)

i just taken Activity yeah (only modification, i removed the code for the
random icon generation since was from plasmagenericshell)

> > and finally, if the plasma mobile shell will have the panel as different
> > window now, there would be no reason to not use it for the netbook as
> > well, keeping containment/applets layout of the netbook shell of course
>
> with the same window switcher as well? what features of the mobile shell
> panel would you want in plasma netbook? (just so i understand better how
> much we could share :)
i was thinking more just about plasma-mobile binary and well, that's it ;)
(but wouldn't make sense if netbook will continue to not use activities)

--
Marco Martin