[kde-workspace/libplasma2] plasma/generic/applets/activitybar: remove usage of Plasma/Context

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri May 20 12:58:12 CEST 2011

taking this to plasma-devel ...

On Friday, May 20, 2011 11:35:32 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Friday 20 May 2011, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> > Git commit 7dd83400f8fa5bdb1de180c90a29343064d027a3 by Aaron Seigo.
> > Committed on 20/05/2011 at 10:23.
> > Pushed by aseigo into branch 'libplasma2'.
> >
> > remove usage of Plasma/Context
> >
> > this means it probably does not work anymore with Plasma Netbook; will
> > need to discuss what we wish to do about this with Marco. it was a 4.6
> > TODO for plasma-netbook, so may as well do it by now.
> >
> > CCMAIL:notmart at gmail.com
>
> my take at this point in time...
> just make netbook support proper activities ;)

while it's the immediate answer that came to me as well, i'm not sure it
really makes much sense to do so. the pages of widgets aren't really
activities they are, well, pages of widgets :)

plasma-netbook knows what the list is and the name of each, it could just
store that on its own. one way this could be done really easily is to have an
internal DataEngine and use PluginLoader to deliver it. it could have the same
API as the Activities one and then ActivityBar could do something like this:

m_engine = dataEngine("org.kde.shellcontainments"); // or whatever
if (!m_engine->isValid()) {
    m_engine = dataEngine("org.kde.activities");
}

no code dupe in ActivityBar, and netbook could provide a very simple
DataEngine for it to use.

what do you think?

> also, now some boilerplate code that does the coupling
> containment(s)/activity has to be copied over and over in order to do so
> (had to copy it in plasma- mobile) this could go as well in the portion of
> plasmagenericshell worth of being public api

probably makes sense, assuming we can come up with a sensible API that can be
shared. did you simply copy classess from plasma-desktop over without any
modifications? (e.g. Activity)

> and finally, if the plasma mobile shell will have the panel as different
> window now, there would be no reason to not use it for the netbook as well,
> keeping containment/applets layout of the netbook shell of course

with the same window switcher as well? what features of the mobile shell panel
would you want in plasma netbook? (just so i understand better how much we
could share :)

humru othro a kohnu se