QtQuick 2.0?

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed May 4 10:43:02 CEST 2011

there won't be binary compatibility with c++ items that subclass
qdeclarativeitem or qgraphicswidget due the difference on how the paint
operation happens.
however they will be pretty easy to reimplement maintaining qml source
compatibility.

in Plasma we plan to ship both, once qml2 is out (to have a gratious fallback
to software rendering, among other things)

On Wednesday 04 May 2011, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> FYI QtQuick 2 will not be compatible with QtQuick 1.x. Something to keep in
> mind, that there may be a migration step.
>
> context:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.qml/2499
>
> Alan Alpert wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 May 2011 03:39:22 ext Jason H wrote:
> >> I thought with modularization, that what is in "qt 4.8" should matter
> >> less and less.
> >>
> >> For instance, there is a QML2 plugin that will work with QML1
> >> http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/05/03/qml-shadereffectitem-on-
>
> qgraphicsview/
>
> >> If everything except the core is a plug in, then what is in 4.8 should
> >> be less relevant.
> >
> > That plugin is a QML1 plugin designed to emulate a QML2 element. As far
> > as I'm aware, it is a completely different element (C++-wise). But it
> > does aim for QML source compatibility, like the QML2 elements designed
> > to act like the QML1 elements we all know and love. Modularization
> > doesn't do anything to solve this problem, alas, as QtQuick 1 and
> > QtQuick 2 will still be incompatible.
> >
> > Plugins may contain just QML1 or QML2 items, and while they can contain
> > both it is likely that you'd have to implement each one semi-separately
> > in C++. So this is not the most graceful version bump. On the plus side,
> > it's still a ways away (still a 'research' stage project and so not tied
> > to any release). I don't know when 4.8 is being released, so I can't say
> > it won't end up in 4.8, but right now it's not in any release.

Marco Martin