GSoC QMLify plasmoids proposal

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Mar 29 11:50:36 CEST 2011

Hi Viranch,

On Monday, March 28, 2011 13:07:39 Viranch Mehta wrote:
> Please review my proposal for GSoC project QMLify Plasmoids:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/19zZn2ObkGWFRVOjaaVu1qp54Olb7g50FN6RgyAQ
> hFm0/edit?hl=en&authkey=CKPlh6oP
>
> I've specified the order of plasmoids that I think would be appropriate in
> increasing order of complexity.

You're referring a lot to QML/C++ Plasmoids, which is a central concept of
your application, but unclear what it means. Most of the plasmoids you name
right now are actually already written in C++, so not everybody reading your
proposal might understand what it's about (though the framing in the
introduction is quite good).

I thin the focus should be on:

- Port Plasmoids visual appearance and interaction to QML and JavaScript

- Where necessary, enhance existing dataengines, or create a new one. (this is
  often the hairy point, there is logic in some Plasmoids which you want to,
  or have to do in C++, in that case, try moving it into a dataengine

- For some Plasmoids, it would be a lot of work to do dataengines for all
  their data, many Plasmoids would benefit more from a customized data model
  they can use to display the data. Here, we'd need to find a more structural
  solution. (Could be a "generic model->dataengine" engine, which flattens a
  model and offers the data to the plasmoids as normal dataengine entries.)

- In some cases, you'll want a hybrid approach: Logic in the Plasma::Applet
  C++ subclass, which then loads one (or more) QML files, depending on
  formfactor. I think this is the least desirable option overall, since it
  bears the least value for re-usability.

I hope my feedback is useful for your application.

sebas