Google Summer of Code

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 11:45:01 CEST 2011

On Saturday 26 March 2011, José Expósito wrote:
> Hello Martin,
>
> > I think your multitouch work would be valuable for complete KDE.
> >
> > In my opinion it's not something that needs to be in KWin, but might be
> > better as a KDED module available to the complete workspace. That's why
> > I CC-ed the plasma devel mailinglist. For such a project I would
> > recommend to find a mentor knowledged with input devices (I'm not and I
> > don't know who our expert is).
>
> Thank you very much ;) I'll wait to known the opinion of plasma developers.

to me multitouch support means basically two possible things (just as local vs
global shortcuts)
some action truggered by a multitouch gesture that is system wide, or the
application itself managing it to do its own things (like pinch zoom)

for the secons case qt api is pretty much enough to easily use gestures in any
app.
for the first case some system wide daemon should filter gestures and manage
the one that it support (if i want for instance have a gesture to minimize a
window, or whatever)

now, i'm not sure what exactly could be the right place to do it, it looks to
me that the mouse gestures kded could be expanded?

it's also true that most of those gestures would be pretty window manager
specific, so could even make sense in kwin..

Cheers,
Marco Martin