Subject: Plasmate status

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Mar 17 15:11:24 CET 2011

Hey,

On Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:45:37 Diego Casella ([Po]lentino) wrote:
> > The timeline feature doesn't work for me. Adding a save point doesn't
> > seem to
> > do anything, the timeline stays empty. I've not debugged that yet, so it
> > might
> > be an easy fix. (Not sure though in how far that part is supposed to work
> > in
> > general.)
>
> Probably the guy (don't rememer his nick) that ported the old Workflow dock
> to the standar menu forgot to connect
> the clicked signal of the "new savepoint" menuitem with the
> "newSavePoint()" slot :)

I'll have a look at that.

> I was also thinking to write a GSoC proposal about a deep refactoring of
> PlasMate codebase (plugin-based), since it's not easy to mantain in its
> current state, make it not crashing if the previewer crashes, add the theme
> creation support, maybe try adding Qt QML editor into plasmate, and make it
> ready for its first release.

I strongly disagree with a "deep refactoring" of the code. It's fairly small,
and I didn't run across any structural problem. In fact, it's very easy to get
hacking on it, and the code bears little to no surprises.
The editor part, which is the most interesting probably, is already plugin-
based (it picks the editor used based on the mimetype).
Crashing the previewer should not be possible anyway, and if it is, it needs
fixing in libplasma. In general, scripted plasmoids (which plasmate is all
about) cannot crash plasma (or in that case the previewer).

I might be missing something here, in that case, please enlighten me. :)

That said, I'd be willing to mentor a GSoC project with the goal to release a
stable and complete version at the end of it. That excludes anything which
brings Plasmate further away from a release, though. Plasmate has been
lingering for too long, we should bring it to a release instead of tinkering
on the codebase.

The editor part is interesting, we can go two ways here: Work with Qt Creators
QML editor, or move towards kdevelop and make sure kdevelop understands it and
can auto-propose object properties and their syntax. Neither of those is
necessary for a 1.0, imo. They're certainly desirable, though.

> Ok, now back to KMix QML applet =)

Have fun, and thanks for the comments :)
--
sebas