Subject: Plasmate status

Diego Casella ([Po]lentino) polentino911 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 10:45:37 CET 2011

> ---------- Messaggio inoltrato ----------
> From: Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org>
> To: plasma-devel at kde.org
> Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 23:44:48 +0100
> Subject: Plasmate status
> Hi,

I've spent a few days working on various aspects of Plasmate, our little
> Add-
> On creator application. Newest screenshots:
>
> http://vizzzion.org/stuff/screenshots/plasmate-alpha3-startpage.png
> http://vizzzion.org/stuff/screenshots/plasmate-alpha3-editing.png

Looks pretty cool indeed :D
Thank you (and also to PovAddict) for the Git migration!

> Here's some updates which you might find interesting:
>
> - I've reworked the startpage to be more explanatory and inviting
> - You can now also work on a local project, without importing it (this
> seems
>  very useful for working on QML applets that are already in Git, or on the
>  harddisk
> - The editor now automatically loads the mainscript, when a project is
> opened:
>  more instant-hackability
> - I've converted plasmate to a git repo, git clone kde:plasmate
> - Licensing has been sorted, it's all GPLv2+ now
> - I've packaged Plasmate for openSUSE, installable packages are can be
> found
>  here:
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/vizzzion/openSUSE_11.4/i586/plasmate-0.1alpha3-1.1.i586.rpm
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/vizzzion/openSUSE_11.4/x86_64/plasmate-0.1alpha3-1.1.x86_64.rpm
>
> More details:
>
> The docs, as we all know are a bit lacking, but since Plasmate used
> techbase
> embedded pages, it gets better in Plasmate as we add it there. I've started
> adding small code examples to
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma/QML/GettingStarted#Layouts
> ; Quite fun, actually ... writing small examples in Plasmate, with its
> previewer and then explaining what happens on techbase, including the code.
>
> Editing local projects in place is I think a valuable addition, since it
> allows to just open a plasmoid directory checked out from git. So it
> doesn't
> go through the savesystem, we can probably make the timeline work with it.
>
> The timeline feature doesn't work for me. Adding a save point doesn't seem
> do anything, the timeline stays empty. I've not debugged that yet, so it
> might
> be an easy fix. (Not sure though in how far that part is supposed to work
> in
> general.)

Probably the guy (don't rememer his nick) that ported the old Workflow dock
to the standar menu forgot to connect
the clicked signal of the "new savepoint" menuitem with the "newSavePoint()"
slot :)

> The nice thing is that the basic workflow works quite well, you're started
> with a new or existing plasmoid in no-time, instant gratification ahead.
>
> I'd like to include the editor's config dialog, its default settings should
> probably be synched with the proposed QML coding style (tab width, etc).

That's a nice :)

I was also thinking to write a GSoC proposal about a deep refactoring of
PlasMate codebase (plugin-based), since it's not easy to mantain in its
current state, make it not crashing if the previewer crashes, add the theme
creation support, maybe try adding Qt QML editor into plasmate, and make it
ready for its first release.

Ok, now back to KMix QML applet =)

Cheers,
Diego

--
H: Who is Watson without Sherlock Holmes?
G: Watson was a genius in his own right.

My personal blog: http://polentino911.wordpress.com/