Plasma2, scene graph and stuff

Giulio Camuffo giuliocamuffo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 10:35:33 CET 2011

2011/3/4 Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com>

> Hi all,
> since months we are repeating how beautiful plasma2 will be with scene
> graph
> and how it will save the world ;)
> for an overview of the planned changes at the moment, here it is:
> http://community.kde.org/Plasma/libplasma2
>
> abstract talk is nice, but to have a more clear idea
> today i've been hacking on a little on a simple mock prototype to just
> check
> if some needed things are possible, and if the api i'm thinking about makes
> sense:
>
> http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Fmart%2Fplasma2-proto.git&a=summary
>
> to try it it's needed to build Qt from gitoious, staging clone, qml-
> team/qtquick2 branch.

Cool!

So now that we're thinking of an api i have a question: about applets
grouping. Do we want it still outside of libplasma? If yes i'm ok with it,
but i'd really need some things in the api, the most important a PlasmaItem
or whatever, parent of Applet in the class hierarchy, with some common
things like config() and containment(). I would then make my AbstractGroup
subclass from that and it would avoid me a lot of duplicates function with
Applet* and AbsractGroup*.

Giulio.