The future of virtual desktops

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 3 07:36:02 CET 2011

On Friday, February 25, 2011, Hans Chen wrote:
>    - I see virtual desktops (VDs) as subordinate to activities

this is incorrect. disabuse yourself of this notion.

>, i.e., each activity should have its own set of virtual desktops. Currently
>VDs are not activity aware.

i don't particularly see the benefit of this. it is in theory possible (kwin
is already aware of activities), but unless there is significant benefit to
such a thing, it will be very complex to add to the configuration GUI.

>    - There is an option to kind of merge activities and virtual desktops

no, there isn't.

>    ("Different widgets for each desktop"). I know that it was added due to
>    popular demand, but now that activities also manage windows I don't
> think it is needed anymore. (Some users are not going to like this, I
> know.)

yes, like the people we implemented that feature for in the first place:
people who want different wallpapers and widgets on each desktop.

virtual desktops and activities are actually, not just in theory but actually,
orthogonal. we know this from usage patterns of real live users.

humru othro a kohnu se